Monday, 1 February 2010

Choo choo

Thomas and Friends is back, and it's bigger and better and newer and shinier and lovelier and I'm so happy. Milkshake is our constant breakfast companion, and it the truth be told it's all for Thomas. I've got a train-mad, Thomas-obsessive and that 8.25 slot can't come round quick enough.

But guess what? Best of all about the brand-new series which began last Monday (and continues on Five's 'Milkshake' at 8.25am daily) is the name of the newest engine: Charlie. Yes! Sodor's latest addition to the railway network is a little Manning-Wardle 0-6-0ST (Saddle Tank) Class L engine named after 'Thomas and Friends' Biggest Fan. I can hardly believe it!

That's not the only change either. For the first time, the series is produced in CG animation, giving it a full 21st century studio update. And the engines can now speak with their own character voices, so there's less work for Michael Angelis to do. And another thing. All those clothes-peg characters that populated the station platforms whether in the person of the passengers or the fat controller Sir Topham Hat himself now move. And no longer will Sir Topham say in that ridiculous manner 'You 'ave caused confusion and delay.' And James doesn't sound like a cross between Jimmy Osmond and Ian Rush. And relegated to narrating duties, Angelis is on surer ground. He can do it all in his own voice. Which, of course, is what he always did. Although he wasn't meant to.

So, here's to the latest Thomas series! Amazing to think that those little trains created by an elderly clergyman are now pensionable age.

Choo-choo!

6 comments:

Tattie Weasle said...

Dear Old Rev Awdry...well that's got a few minutes of half term sorted rock on Thomas and Charlie!

angelsandurchinsblog said...

Must admit, I prefer watching Thomas to reading it. The books are sooooo boring. Though I guess that's a little unfair because my sons love them. Guess it's not about meeeeeeee.

Lori said...

That's kind of sad, to be honest. I'm a Thomas purist!

Hadriana's Treasures said...

Dear old Sky has taken Channel Five off us because we won't pay them more money. I miss Thomas I really do!

zookeeper said...

Hello, I enjoyed your Howard Keel tribute. Seriously. But I guess if you thought you had a lousy voice you wouldn't have put yourself up for scrutiny! As a kid Seven Brides for Seven Brothers was one of my favourite films - not something I admit very often. I am so cr*p at this blogging etiquette - I didn't know if you'd come back to find my comments on my own blog so they are here as well: Thanks for finding me! I have been very remiss at reading other people's blogs for the last month so didn't dream of any new visitors. To answer your question, there is indeed such 'Sunday School' or creche option, but only at the High Church 9.30am service, which I am unlikely EVER to make. Going to the family (mayhem) service conveniently before lunch is one thing, grown-up Eucharist is quite another.....

zookeeper said...

Hello, I enjoyed your Howard Keel tribute. Seriously. But I guess if you thought you had a lousy voice you wouldn't have put yourself up for scrutiny! As a kid Seven Brides for Seven Brothers was one of my favourite films - not something I admit very often. I am so cr*p at this blogging etiquette - I didn't know if you'd come back to find my comments on my own blog so they are here as well: Thanks for finding me! I have been very remiss at reading other people's blogs for the last month so didn't dream of any new visitors. To answer your question, there is indeed such 'Sunday School' or creche option, but only at the High Church 9.30am service, which I am unlikely EVER to make. Going to the family (mayhem) service conveniently before lunch is one thing, grown-up Eucharist is quite another.....