Wednesday, 2 September 2009

If I Never....


This is the debut novel by Gary William Murning, and it's a corker! Price and George are friends, if you can call it that. George bullies Price in every imaginable way, and Price well... Price just takes it. He takes everything George throws at him, including punches. Why? And why does he continue doing so when warned that he's in danger, when love beckons, and when things begin to spiral down into a world of kidnap, murder and crime? Why can't Price just walk away, and live happily ever after? To find out, you'll have to read Gary's book and you can read the first chapter here for free. But the thing about 'If I Never' is... it just gets better. Don't get me wrong; chapter one is good. But the novel builds an inexorable momentum as the pages keep on turning faster until you reach a stage towards the end when you have to consciously slow down in order not to finish the book too soon. Published by Legend Press, an indie publisher with an eclectic list, this is sure to be a winner. On the surface it's a rattling good yarn, fast paced and well-written. But one finds so many thought-provoking layers of hidden meaning that - in spite of knowing the ending - it's a book that will repay further reading. And that's a pleasure I'm about to take. If you'll excuse me...

14 comments:

Brother Tobias said...

Sounds like a good read - thanks for this. (And I agree with you about seagulls; I remarked to someone how the sound you associated with Westward Ho and the Earls Court Boat Show now filled the fields for half the year. They said that it had been recognised that seagull behaviour was changing. Perhaps the decline of our fishing fleets?

Tam said...

Looking forward to getting stuck into my copy :-)

The Dotterel said...

It certainly is a good read BT. And as for the gulls (they don't deserve the prefix 'sea') I'd never thought about the huge decline of the UK fishing industry as a contributory factor. And as a Hull-boy, I should have done!

Don't think you'll be disappointed, Tam!

CG said...

This sounds an interesting read and I love the cover!

MelRoXx said...

Thank you for your kind words over at my blog:)Lets hope the exams go well :))

Kerrie said...

Thanks for stopping by and by paying you a visit I may even give this book a go. You learn something new everyday they say and believe me I have lots of empty space to fill.
As for the gulls, they are definatley evolving into the master race, second only to cats.xx

Dumdad said...

Hi,

I finally placed a comment on your other blog Bringing Up Charlie but I've just looked now and can't see the comments at all. This blog is fine. Is there a problem with the other one or is it just me?

Sarah said...

Thanks for dropping by, and the comment- I shall return- I appreciate a book recommendation, but have a stack of books by the bed. I was in a book group, once, which made me read a book a month. I read blogs, does that count???
Best wishes
Sarah

Cait O'Connor said...

On your receommendation I will suggest it as a book to buy at the library

Cait O'Connor said...

And Writing Therapy too of course.

The Dotterel said...

Thanks, Cait. Let's hope they stock both!

Discontented Little Mummy said...

Thanks for your comments on my mummy blog! Interested to see you are a writer as I am too! (My other blog ID is www.eastlondonwriter.blogspot.com but not a lot of people know that!)

Discontented Little Mummy said...

PS I tried to post a comment on Bringing Up Charlie but I couldn't. There's an award for you over at my blog. (Apologies if you've had it already - I'm kinda new to this!)

Clarity said...

That is the most intriguing book cover, I thought of Tokyo immediately.

I like indie publishers and feel I must familiarise myself more with their catalogues.

Thank you for the tip, if I do indulge it shall have to join the knee-high list of to-reads, God willing.